What You Need to Know About Divorce in Trumbull County, Ohio

Divorce in Trumbull County OhioHow to Divorce in Trumbull County, Ohio

Initially, there is a residency requirement to divorce in Ohio and to divorce in Trumbull County.  The plaintiff (person filing the complaint) should be a resident of Ohio for at least six months immediately before filing the complaint and a resident of Trumbull County, Ohio for 90 days immediately prior to filing the complaint.

A divorce complaint is filed with the Trumbull County Common Pleas Court Domestic Division at the Trumbull County Family Court Building, 220 Main Street S.W. in Warren, OH in the Clerk of Courts office.   You must pay a $225 filing fee or present an Affidavit of Indigency and a Financial Affidavit for proof of indigency if you cannot afford the filing fee.  An original copy of the complaint and the affidavits with an original signature must be provided as well as a copy with which to serve the defendant.

The court is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The phone number is (330) 675-2302 and the fax is (330) 675-7907.  The clerk of court’s website is www.clerk.co.trumbull.oh.us

The Trumbull County Court may require that if you are divorcing and you have minor children, you must take parenting classes. These cost about $20.  Most of the divorces granted in Trumbull County are resolved outside of the courtroom so you may not have to go before a judge.

Some common issues of divorce are child custody, child support, spousal support and property division.

To get a divorce in Trumbull County, you must fill out several formsIf you do not have minor children, you will fill out the “Complaint for Divorce – Without Children.”  You will also fill out “Instructions for Service,” an “Affidavit of Income and Expenses,” an “Affidavit of Property,” a “Separation Agreement” and an “Affidavit for Temporary Relief” if the latter applies.  If you cannot afford the filing fee, you will also submit a “Poverty Affidavit.”

The Trumbull County divorce complaint form will ask for the date of your marriage, and the city and state where the marriage occurred.  It will ask if the parties currently own any real property and questions about other assets, debts, and division of personal property.  It will also inquire if the wife is pregnant.  It will ask what Defendant is guilty of (grounds for the divorce).

The plaintiff will also have an opportunity to ask the court for the following relief in the complaint:  equitable division of property and debts; restoration of the wife to her former name; the issuance of a mutual restraining order (if necessary); issuance of a spousal support order; and costs of the action to charged to the defendant.

To get a divorce in Trumbull County with minor children, you will fill out the same forms except that you will be required to complete a “Parenting Affidavit,” a “Parenting Agreement,” and an “IV-D Application” which starts the child support process.  If you cannot afford the filing fee, you will be required to complete a “Poverty Affidavit” or you will have to pay the fee.

When you have completed all of the forms, make three copies of each, take them to the Clerk of Courts and pay the filing fee.  The clerk will set a hearing date and provide you with notice.  It is important that you attend your hearing and bring two copies of all your court papers.  It is also necessary to bring documentation of the information you have provided on your divorce papers.  Those supporting papers may include paystubs, tax returns, health insurance cards, etc.

The procedure for dissolution is slightly different but you should be able to find links on the Trumbull County site which will show you the forms to fill out to get a divorce or a dissolution.

In any event, divorce is rarely, if ever, a pleasant endeavor and often there are young children to consider.  Having an attorney for divorce can make life a lot easier and help you wade through the complexity of divorce law in Ohio.

The experienced attorneys at Slater & Zurz LLP know how to file for divorce in Trumbull County and will answer your questions about divorce.  If you are in the military, we will familiarize you what you need to know about an Ohio military divorce.  Call us at 1-888-760-8958 and let us show you that getting a divorce is certainly a serious matter, but one that can go more smoothly than you might imagine.

To learn more or to contact via our website, please visit dissolutionanddivorce.com

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About slaterzurz

Slater & Zurz LLP is an Ohio law firm of highly experienced and respected attorneys. Over the last 40 years, we have developed a reputation for getting positive results for clients. We've been trusted with handling over 20,000 personal injury cases and our clients have received more than $120,000,000.

View all posts by slaterzurz


Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: