Ohio Grandparent Rights

rights of grandparents in OhioGrandparents in Ohio can file for visitation and companionship rights of their grandchildren under certain circumstances.  The law allows the grandparent(s) to file a motion in common pleas court if one of three circumstances arise:

(1) When married parents terminate their marriage or separate.

(2) When a parent of a child is deceased.

(3) When the child is born to an unmarried woman.

Under any of those circumstances, an Ohio court can order reasonable visitation if it is in the best interest of the child.   The court will invariably use the “best interest of the child” analysis in any custody or visitation action in Ohio—that language runs pervasively throughout family law.

Visitation and companionship, however, maintains a much different legal requirement than custody for grandparents.  The law for grandparent custody of their grandchildren was laid out decades ago by the Ohio Supreme Court in the case of In Re Perales.  Under that ruling, grandparents only have a right to custody if both parents are found to be “unfit parents.”

There are two devices that can be useful to grandparents if they are seeking custody, but they are both only applicable under very limited circumstances.  The “Grandparent Caretaker Law” provides for a parents power of attorney, and secondly, a caretaker authorization affidavit.

The parent’s power of attorney allows grandparents to acquire quasi-custody of their grandchildren if the parent of the child consents. This requires the parent of the child to make these declarations as follows:

“I have a well-founded belief that the power of attorney is in the child’s best interest, (and) I am not transferring my rights and responsibilities regarding the child for the purpose of enrolling the child in a school or school district so that the child may participate in the academic or interscholastic athletic programs provided by that school or district.”

The second device, the caretaker authorization affidavit, is used when the child(ren) are living with the grandparents and the parent’s cannot be found. The grandparent must have made reasonable attempts to locate the parent. The grandparent must also make a declaratory statement that is similar in content to the above-mentioned attestation.

As a parent or grandparent, it is crucially important that you seek an experienced family law attorney to represent your interests should the need arise.  Please call Slater & Zurz LLP we know the law, and will listen to you and answer your questions, helping you all the way through the process.  Please give us a call at   1-800-297-9191 or send us a Blog Message to make an appointment to meet with an Ohio family law attorney who understands.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About slaterzurz

Slater & Zurz LLP is an Ohio law firm of highly experienced and respected attorneys. Over the last 40 years, we have developed a reputation for getting positive results for clients. We've been trusted with handling over 20,000 personal injury cases and our clients have received more than $120,000,000.

View all posts by slaterzurz


Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “Ohio Grandparent Rights”

  1. Researching divorce & dissolution Says:

    The facts on grandparents rights as identified by the law can be cloudy to some, though they are primarily circumstantial. So glad you posted this! Love the blog!


  2. Researching divorce & dissolution Says:

    The rights of the grandparents as identified by the state can be cloudy at times. Thanks for posting this!


  3. Dell Diflorio Says:

    I believe this internet site has some actually wonderful data for every person : D.


  4. Arnold Bakalars Says:

    I simply added your website to my favorites. I enjoy reading you. Thanks!


  5. visitation rights illinois Says:

    Nice piece of writing. Thanks for sharing with us. You have focused on a very good topic. I like your post. Keep stay.


  6. Vickie Miller Says:

    My daughter who is married with two children and expecting a third has denied me the right to see my grandchildren. I have been active in their lives for the past ten years. Do I have recourse in which I can get visitation?



  1. Access to Children Course Success Tips - December 20, 2012

    […] in DSM-5Dads Visitation & Access RightsInternational Divorce And The Children’s NeedsOhio Grandparent RightsExperts in Family Law LLP Heath-Newton Explain how Petition for Grandparent Visitation in […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: