Can Grandparents Do Anything if One of Their Grandchildren is Being Abused or Neglected?

A frequently asked question in the area of grandparent’s rights is: What can I do, as a grandparent, if one of my grandchildren has been alleged or adjudicated to be neglected or abused and is not in the custody of the parents?

Unfortunately, Ohio does not have a law that gives grandparents specific rights to their grandchildren in these unfortunate cases.

However, there are things that a grandparent can do in these cases.

There is a rule that requires a public children services agency (PCSA) or private child placing agency (PCPA) to arrange for such visitation during temporary custody in certain circumstances, which are primarily dependent upon the best interests of the child.

There is no rule when the custody is permanent.  In these cases, the Ohio Supreme Court has actually ruled against grandparent visitation, because that visitation is not specifically in the abuse and neglect statute.

This is a very complex area requiring an attorney who has extensive experience in these matters. To learn more, please call 1-800-297-9191 or visit

, , , , , , , , ,

About slaterzurz

Slater & Zurz LLP is an Ohio law firm of highly experienced and respected attorneys. Over the last 40 years, we have developed a reputation for getting positive results for clients. We've been trusted with handling over 20,000 personal injury cases and our clients have received more than $120,000,000.

View all posts by slaterzurz


Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: